How to Remove Hard Water Stains From Car Windows | 6 Ways
After running a thorough cleaning, often we find some unexpected small white spots on the inside and outside of the car window glass. These spots are usually created by hard water. And sometimes it’s become very annoying to remove hard water stains from car windows.
Some water comes with high minerals containing calcium and magnesium. When you use hard water on any surface, and it dried or evaporate, it leaves behind some marks. These marks are a sign of mineral residue.
These stains are quite tough to clean, and you cannot remove them by regular car wash methods. Even these stains or calcium deposits become stubborn over time. They can make the window glass texture’s rough.
These stains can come from a regular car wash, or from the rainwater. If you find such stains on your car window, do not panic. This article will help you and guide you to remove these stains effortlessly.
6 Ways to remove hard water stains from car windows
When hard water comes in contact with the glass and another surface, it leaves spots on it. Though these spots are not permanent, you cannot remove them easily using any regular glass cleaner. Fortunately, some common household products can help you remove hard water stains from car windows with a minimum effort.
1. Use of vinegar
Vinegar contains acidic agent; on the other hand, hard water contains minerals which are alkaline in nature. The acidic agent of vinegar is very much useful to neutralize these minerals.
- Take a bucket and pour 2/3 cup of white distilled vinegar and add a similar amount of water.
- Pour the solution into an empty bottle and spray it on the glass. If you do not have an empty spray bottle, then soak a paper towel in the solution and apply it to the car window glasses.
- Let sit the water-vinegar solution on the window glass for at least five minutes. During this time, vinegar will counteract the mineral deposit and lose them.
- Wipe the window glasses with a dry paper towel. Repeat the process until you cannot remove all of the hard water stains.
2. Use of lemon juice
Lemon juice also has an acidic component like vinegar. And it also works well against stains on the auto glass.
- Take some fresh lemon and squeeze the juice. Fresh lemon juice is better than bottle variety.
- Apply the juice using a spray bottle and spray on the glass. You can use a paper towel to apply juice or rub the piece of lemon on the spot directly.
- Wipe the glass with a wet paper towel if need to apply the whole process again.
3. Use of baking soda
Baking soda is another popular household cleaning product. It also works well to remove various types of stains.
- Take 2/3 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl and pour one cup of normal water into it.
- Make a paste and apply it to the affected area of the glass using an old toothbrush.
- Leave the paste on the glass for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a wet paper towel or old microfiber cloth and wipe the paste along with stains.
- Rinse the glass thoroughly; your window glass looks like a new one.
4. Use of essential oil
Essential oil becomes famous for its versatile uses. Even it is also working on removing hard water stains from the glass.
- Take about two cups of water and add a few drops of orange or lemon essential oil into it.
- Mix them well. Take a piece of sponge or paper towel and apply the solution to the glass.
- Let it soak in for ten minutes. Use any best brand automobile glass cleaner and follow the process.
- Wipe the window glass with a paper towel or a wet microfiber cloth. The essential oil has an additional benefit that it can protect your windshield from hard water spots. So, try to follow the cleaning process once a week to prevent developing hard water stains in the car glass.
5. Use of rubbing alcohol
The rubbing alcohol also useful when it comes to removing hard water marks from car windows.
- Take a small bowl and pour one cup of rubbing alcohol and add four cups of water into it.
- Use this mixture with a paper towel to clean the car window.
- This mixture works well if the staining intensity is mild, and it cleans the car windows and mirror effectively.
6. Use of toothpaste
Do you ever use toothpaste for removing any spot? Yes, it really works well in removing mineral spots.
- Squeeze about one tablespoon of paste into a bowl. Add two cups of water into it and mix them well.
- Apply this pasty solution to the affected area of the window glass.
- Let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse with normal water.
- Now use any of the best automobile glass cleaners and get a new-looking window glass.
When it comes to any problem regarding car maintenance, you must take some preventive steps rather than find a remedy. Your effective steps will prevent your car from facing any unwanted incident.
- Try to park your car always in a carport or garage. If possible, do not allow to dry the rainwater on your car surface.
- Take an immediate step to remove water spots that can become stubborn over time.
- Wipe residual water from the window glass or the painted surface of the car.
- Maintain your windshield regularly with water repellant products. There are plenty of varieties available in the market. Pick one that best suits your car.
- Before using any chemical cleaner, do not forget to check its label to ensure it is safe.
- Never use any harsh scrubber on the window glass or other surface. It can make scratches and leave a lousy appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Does vinegar hurt car paint?
Vinegar is acidic, and it can eat paint. So, apply it to the window glass carefully so that it cannot touch the paint. If the water down on the paint, do not allow it to sit for a long time. Wipe it quickly.
Does rubbing alcohol remove hard water stains?
A mixture of rubbing alcohol and water can effectively treat mild mineral stains. For more difficult stains, soak a piece of rag in a water and ammonia solution and rub the stains on the car window glass.
Can hard water stains be permanent?
Hard water stains are not permanent; it is removable. But you need to remove it regularly. If you allow siting the stain longer, it can become permanent and etch window glass.
Remove hard water stains from the car windows is possible. It is much easier to avoid in the primary stage. It just needs a little bit of effort and a regular car wash. Your car will remain stain-free and shining like a new one. Try the above-listed cleaning method and remove all hard water stains from the window glass. Besides this, do not forget to take preventive steps to avoid stained the car surface. All the best.