How To Care For a Vinyl Wrapped Car
Nowadays, vinyl wrap becomes an appealing extension for the car. It is a great trend if you want a new look and radical new color in your car, eliminating physical painting trouble. Many car owners install the wraps for advertisement, special graphic showings. All in all, it is an attention-grabbing component.
To keep up the shine, the vinyl wrap needs regular maintenance. Washing is the best way to clean dirt and debris from the surface and hold up the shine. While your car has a wrap, then how to clean a vinyl wrap car? Is the process similar to a normal car? Reading the article, you will get to know all the answers. So be with us.
What is a vinyl wrap?
Vinyl wrap is like an extra coating of protection to car paint. It is the solvency of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) polymer where the vinyl word came from. In the 1950s the vinyl was utilized to attach logos or custom letters. Over time people started to wrap the car entirely with vinyl. Though it is flexible enough, in addition, many additives are added with vinyl to make it more durable and resistant to UV rays.
A vinyl wrap works as a safeguard for the car. It resists the car paint from dirt, grime, bug splatters, bird droppings, tree sap, and so on. Moreover, the wrap helps avoid the dangers of powerful sun rays, rain, and snow. If you take proper care, the vinyl wrap will stay functional and pleasing for two to four years.
Auto car wash VS. Hand wash
You may confuse between auto car wash or manual hand wash. We will prefer the manual hand wash as the wrapped car is like a frying pan in the kitchen. Any hard rubbing can damage the entire coating.
Besides, strong detergent can fade the glow. While the huge brushes and cloth are used in automated car washes, it would be better if you avoid the auto car wash. Using hand wash with organic materials will be best for vinyl wrap cars.
Read next: How To Prevent Water Spots After Car Wash
How to clean a vinyl wrap car?
As the vinyl wrap protects the car paint from solid objects, an increasing number of car owners opting to install it. The vinyl wrap is durable; still, it needs to clean regularly to enhance the lasting and shine. Otherwise, the dirt, bug splatters, and bird droppings can damage the exterior smoothness. Moreover, if you neglect the cleaning, it can cost more in the long run.
Before starting the cleaning, you need to gather all the elements that you are going to use:
- Two bucket methods: If is the safest way to clean the wrapped car. Utilizing two bucket methods, you need one bucket of shampoo solution and one bucket of plain water for rinsing. Choose a suitable car washing shampoo that is recommended for vinyl wraps.
- Be gentle: You must avoid any kind of brush to clean the wrapped car. Choose a soft sponge or wash mitt to pull the dust and debris from the vehicle.
- Rub, rinse and dry: Whenever washing your car, pick one part; then rub, rinse and dry. It will lessen the chances of water spots.
- Wash in a shaded area: When washing the car, stay away from the sun. The sun rays dried up the soap and water quickly and left hard spots. To prevent the water spots, choose a shaded area.
- For dirty conditions: If the car is too messy, then use a pressure water washer, but the pressure does not overstep than 2000 psi.
- Microfiber cloth: You need microfiber cloths to soak the water after rinsing. It is necessary to rinse off shortly. Otherwise, cleaning elements can undo the sticky underneath.
Considering the above facts, be ready for cleaning.
Step by step instructions for cleaning the vinyl wrap car
Step 1: Check car paint
Check your car paint thoroughly. Is there any stubborn spot on the exterior? Usually, bird droppings, bug splatters, and tree saps are adhesive contaminants. If there is any, use hot soapy water and soak it for a few minutes. After softening the spot, rub the area with a cloth and clean it. Repeat the process as necessary.
Step 2: Rinse the car
Rinse the car with plain water to wash the excessive dirt or other grimy things. Make sure there are no sharp contaminants that scratch the vinyl.
Step 3: Wash the tires
First, wash the tires as they are not wrapped. It will save your time.
Step 4: Apply shampoo and water
Choose a section of a car, then apply shampoo, and gently rub the area with a sponge or wash mitt. Then rinse and dry with a squeegee or microfiber cloth. It will prevent the soap from flowing underneath the vinyl.
Step 5: Air dry
After wiping, let the air dry the vehicle.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
- How often should you wash the vinyl wrap car?
When the vehicle appears dirty and dull, it needs a wash. Washing a car twice a month is necessary, but it should be cleaned earlier if there are any contaminants because much stubborn debris doesn’t come off for more extended dry. To wipe off the difficult pollutants, first, soak them with soapy water, then rinse.
- How to clean gasoline or oil from the vinyl wrap?
Gasoline-like products can be harmful to vinyl wrap. Gasoline is a kind of combustible element that can damage don’t materials like vinyl. It is always the ideal recommendation to follow the hand wash.
Before washing, wipe off the gasoline with a rinsed towel and then follow our washing process. Must use soapy water to wipe off the gasoline and oil from the car surface.
The vinyl wrap is used for protection. But it also needs cleaning and washing to prolong its life. Using this method, you can clean the wrapped car efficiently with ease. Some automakers recommend using wax on the vinyl wrap. So, consult the detailer to know whether the vinyl wrap needs wax or not.